DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY – SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
Our Biochemistry Department is a large research and teaching department housed in a well-equipped building. It is part of the University of Otago and located in Dunedin, a culturally vibrant and diverse university city.
Our lab studies long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) as therapeutic targets and prognostic markers in cancer. We previously identified Mammary Tumor Associated RNA 20 (MaTAR20), an lncRNA that impacts tumor growth and metastasis in mouse models of breast cancer. To further examine the role of MaTAR20 in the metastatic cascade, we will perform single-cell RNA-seq of primary tumors, circulating tumor cells and metastatic nodules. The project will elucidate if MaTAR20 is an early predictor of metastasis and thus could be used as a potential diagnostic and/or prognostic marker in the future. A 2-year fixed term postdoctoral position is available to explore the role of MaTAR20 in metastasis.
As a Postdoctoral Fellow you will be responsible for:
- Planning and executing experiments relating to the overall objectives of the project and analysing the subsequent data.
- Maintaining detailed records of the research.
- Attending conferences, presenting data and preparing manuscripts.
- Working with other laboratory members and collaborators.
- Assisting with supervision of students and staff.
Skills and experience
- A PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, cancer research or a related discipline.
- Experience with a range of molecular biology methods, especially nucleic acid extractions, and sterile cell culture techniques.
- Experience in sample preparation for high-throughput sequencing.
- Experience with mouse models is beneficial.
- Experience with bioinformatic analysis of sequencing data is preferred but not required.
- Evidence of research productivity, as indicated by publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organised and motivated.
This is a full-time, fixed term position for two years commencing early 2018.
Specific enquiries may be directed to Dr Sarah Diermeier, Department of Biochemistry via the email address below.
To submit your application please click the apply button below. Applications quoting reference number 1702230 will close on Wednesday, 20 December 2017.
Contact: Dr Sarah Diermeier
Position details: Information Statement
Guidelines for Academic Positions: Guidelines
Further Information: Department Website
Create an email with a link to this vacancy: Create email
Location: About Dunedin
Primary Location – NZL-SI-Dunedin
Employment Status – Fixed Term Full-time
Salary Level and Range Postdoctoral Fellow ($75,896)
Organisation – Biochemistry
Job Function – Research