Job ID: 14273
Location: San Francisco, CA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Translational Medicine – 3268
Celgene Corporation is committed to delivering innovative therapies designed to improve the lives of patients worldwide. We are a global biopharmaceutical company with operations in more than 70 countries that is helping to turn incurable cancers into chronic, manageable conditions. We are seeking talented professionals as we continue to grow and advance our efforts in oncology, hematology and immune and inflammatory disease. If you would like to join a company where you can make a difference, please consider the Celgene family.
– PhD with 2-4 years experience in a field of cell biology, biochemistry, or pharmacology.
– Minimum of 2 years post-graduate research experience.
The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of nucleic acid biochemistry, protein synthesis, and cancer biology, with excellent laboratory technical skills in areas of cell and molecular biology. Unique expertise in the biology of microRNA and/or long non-coding RNA, epigenetics and epigenetic therapies a plus. Being well versed in the scientific literature, employee will use current techniques to address questions of drug mechanism of action, drug differentiation and drug resistance, using primarily in vitro methods. Employee will also manage contracted research studies and foster academic collaborations. Responsible for well-defined and controlled experimental design, interpretation of results, and presentations to global project teams and senior management, being mindful of translational relevance. Employee will keep an electronic laboratory notebook and be responsible for authoring non-clinical pharmacology study reports and scientific publications.
– Develop strategy, design and execute experiments to characterize the mechanism of action of oncology therapeutics, including azacitidine
– Develop pharmacodynamic markers based on novel drug mechanism(s)
– Interface with bioinformaticians to analyze genomics data for understanding pathways of sensitivity and resistance
– Analyze, interpret, and report experimental results.
– Establish and maintain working relationships with contract laboratories and academic collaborators, developing / evaluating study proposals and critically reviewing data
– Interact with project teams and contract laboratories for design and oversight of molecular, cellular and/or in vivo studies of drug mechanism and efficacy
– Present work at group meetings, company-wide forums and scientific conferences
– Ensures that the Translational Development Department maintains current awareness in area of expertise, enhances the scientific credibility of Celgene through contributions to the scientific literature (publications/presentations), through extramural activities and scientifically related interactions with academics
– Assumes responsibility for writing non-clinical pharmacology study reports, publications, invention disclosures, and regulatory documents, when appropriate.
The position requires an individual with:
– An advanced graduate degree in a field of cell biology, biochemistry or pharmacology (Ph.D. or equivalent) with at least 2 years of post-graduate research experience.
– Ability to develop a research plan, conduct and supervise experimental work, with accurate and detailed record keeping.
– Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to efficiently manage and prioritize multiple projects, coordinating in-house research with collaborative work.
– Ability to interpret and summarize scientific data in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively convey scientific concepts and data with internal working groups/project teams and external academic and industrial organizations; team player.
– Strong independent problem-solving skills.
– Flexibility to changing priorities.
– Industry experience in drug discovery or translational research in the pharma or biotech setting is a plus.
Skills / Knowledge :
– Organizational Judgement: The incumbent must have planning skills for scheduling experimental studies to meet project team deadlines. The position requires problem solving abilityand skills in resolving technical questions in a multi-disciplinary environment. The incumbent must keep abreast of current techniques within the field.
– Supervision: Supervises internal research associates as required.
– Accountability: The incumbent is responsible for planning and executing research plans in the defined area of investigation. This position has responsibility for the quality, quantity, timeliness, and scientific acceptability of drug discovery activities that result in reports that are required for internal decision-making.
– Domestic and international travel to scientific conferences may be required.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Employment applicants requiring immigration sponsorship must disclose, when initial application for employment is made, whether or not they are legally authorized to work in the U.S. and, if so, whether that authorization permits them to work in the job they seek. In no case should Celgene support of a potential employee’s temporary visa application be construed to guarantee success of that application or amend or otherwise invalidate the at-will employment relationship between the employee and Celgene.