Job Category: Fulltime Regular
We are seeking a highly motivated and dependable individual to join our integrative computational and experimental team in characterizing the functions and mechanisms of lncRNAs. Specifically, this person will help to develop and optimize methods and generate data for understanding interactions between RNA, DNA and protein in mammalian cells. This work will include experiments and method optimization in the areas of genomic engineering by CRISPR targeting, lncRNA and protein capture, protein detection by quantitative mass spectrometry, and assessment of RNA-protein interactions using high-throughput RNA sequencing. Training in established techniques will be provided, but the work will require significant independence of day-to-day operations to achieve the overall goals of the project.
- Designs and independently performs bench level experiments and small projects
- Designs and constructs expression vectors using recombinant DNA technology and current cloning methods
- Maintains and transfects cell lines in our tissue culture facility
- Adapts and optimizes methods for assaying interactions between RNA and proteins
- Executes established biochemistry protocols, including but not limited to RAP-MS, CLIP, RNA-seq, immunoprecipitation, Western blotting
- Analyzes experiments, summarizes results, and prepares progress reports to ensure proper experimental design, execution, and analysis
- Adjusts easily to changing needs and priorities in order to facilitate project completion and to address technical problems
- Works collaboratively with others to dynamically synthesize strategies, results, and future directions for single projects or multiple projects simultaneously
- Bachelors degree in biology or related field required.
- Must possess at least 2 years of experience in a research laboratory, preferably conducting an independent project(s).
- Hands-on experience with molecular cloning, cell biology techniques, and mammalian tissue culture.
- Solid technical knowledge of protein biochemistry techniques.
- Excellent organization, time management, and project management skills.
- Ability to record and report results with clarity.
- Must be detail-oriented and perform precise work in the laboratory.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously required.
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with basic protein biochemistry and molecular biology methods and the operation of standard lab equipment required.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and with external contacts in a fast-paced environment required.
- Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Persistence and willingness to troubleshoot technical challenges.
- Motivation to learn and master new methods and techniques.
- Broad knowledge of cell biology, gene targeting approaches, and high throughput sequencing a strong plus.
- Basic knowledge of sequence analysis tools such as BLAST, primer3, UCSC genome browser, and other applications favored.
- Solid technical knowledge of RNA isolation and handling techniques preferred.