Commentary

Female immune cells use lncRNA to keep their second X chromosome shut off

lncRNA

Autoimmune diseases tend to strike women more than men and having multiple X chromosomes could be the main reason why. While a process called X chromosome inactivation serves to balance out gene dosage between males and females, some genes on the “inactive X” chromosome in immune cells can sometimes escape this process, giving women an extra dose of immunity-related gene ...

Read More »

Researchers find novel lncRNA mechanism of resistance to anti-cancer drugs

lncrna

The targeted anti-cancer therapies cetuximab and panitumumab are mainstays of treatment for advanced colorectal cancer, the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. However, many patients have tumors with genetic mutations that make them resistant to these anti-epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) monoclonal antibodies, or the cancers develop resistance during treatment. Researchers seeking to understand mechanisms of ...

Read More »

UTA researchers discover connection between low oxygen levels and the lncRNA HOTAIR

lncrna

University of Texas at Arlington researchers have established a link between hypoxia, a condition that reduces the flow of oxygen to tissues, and HOTAIR, a noncoding RNA or molecule that has been implicated in several types of cancer. RNA, or ribonucleic acid, is present in all living cells. Its primary role is to carry instructions from DNA. In a study ...

Read More »

Novel RNA Discoveries Could Improve Stem Cell Research

A recently described variety of RNA closely associated with gene expression was found to be largely cell-type specific, raising the possibility this variety of RNA sequences may be able to be used as a marker in stem cell research. Only about 20 percent of RNA codes for proteins, and the remaining 80 percent, called non-coding RNA, is thought to be ...

Read More »

Gene therapy using lncRNA could lower risk for heart disease

lncRNA

FINDINGS Scientists from UCLA and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute successfully used a gene that suppresses cholesterol levels as part of a treatment to reduce plaque in mice with a disorder called familial hypercholesterolemia. In a preclinical study, researchers found that the gene, LeXis, lowered cholesterol and blockages in the arteries, and the treatment appeared to reduce the build-up of ...

Read More »

Genome’s ‘dark’ side steps into spotlight of autism research

lncRNA

from SpectrumNews by Nicholette Zeliadt – Given that genes make up a paltry 2 percent of the genome, they’ve received a disproportionate amount of attention from autism researchers. Slowly, however, the other 98 percent of the genome — the so-called ‘dark matter’ — is emerging from the shadows. Once considered nonfunctional or ‘junk DNA,’ these non-gene regions are now known ...

Read More »

lncRNAs take center stage at NCI RNA Biology 2017 symposium

rna-seq

The recent discovery of new classes of RNAs and the demonstration that alterations in RNA metabolism underlie numerous human cancers have resulted in enormous interest among CCR investigators in RNA Biology. In order to share the latest research in this exciting field, the CCR Initiative in RNA Biology held its second international symposium April 23-24, 2017, in Natcher Auditorium. With ...

Read More »

Could long non-coding RNAs be used as biomarkers for urothelial carcinoma?

exosomes

Bioanalysis Zone – Amy Craddock, Future Science Group – Collaborative research from medical faculties across Germany and Hungary has investigated the potential use of long non-coding RNAs as diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers for urothelial carcinoma. In previous studies, it has been identified that a number of long non-coding RNAs are overexpressed in urothelial carcinoma; as a result it has been ...

Read More »

Translating the ribosome’s grim role

A large number of long noncoding RNAs (lncRNA) have been found associating with the ribosome, the protein-making machinery in the cytoplasm. What the so-called ‘noncoding’ RNAs are doing on the ribosome, whose main job is to translate RNA into protein, has puzzled the A*STAR researchers who discovered them. The answer could be macabre, suggest cell biologist, Leah Vardy, at the ...

Read More »

Linking lncRNA to autoimmune diseases

lncRNA

News Medical Life Sciences – An interview with Dr. Chase Spurlock, CEO, IQuity, conducted by April Cashin-Garbutt, MA (Cantab) What are long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) and how do they differ from messenger RNAs (mRNAs)? Well, the central dogma of biology states that DNA makes RNA and RNA makes proteins. However, there are many different types of RNAs, and only one ...

Read More »